Saturday, December 11, 2010

Shadow Study

One thing you can do on snowy days is to explore the capabilities of your computer. I regularly use Google Earth to study PV site for potential customers. This time I decided to model our proposed shop PV array using Google SketchUp (free, google it) The sketchup program can use Google Earth data for shadows and geophysical features. There's a control where you can set anytime of the day, any day of the year, to see how the sun's shadows affect your array. Even nearby mountains will cast their shadows accurately.
I wanted to confirm my row spacing for maximum module density without interference. It takes awhile to get a handle on modeling in sketchup, but its time well spent. I will use this tool to prove the design is good for a grant we are pursuing and see how roof angles and protrusions may influence some future complex new install.

1 comment: