Thursday, June 10, 2010

Computer Tip


ABOVE: THIS IS HOW MY COMPUTER USED TO RUN


I've had my Dell 4550 since 2003 and have been quite satisfied most of the time. After you run it over the years it slows down until you really notice how bad it is. I've tried all the system tools and Ad-Aware cleanup. Marginal improvements. The hard drive runs more and more transfering bits as you open and close programs. I thought I had to take to a shop and have them clean it up.
Then I talked to a tech about putting in more RAM. My machine has two 512 MB slots and only one card installed. I ordered another 512 for about 30 plus bucks. The performance was exhilarating, I went here and there and opened up many programs very quickly. Even the DSL seemed faster. I assume the delays were from the hard drive being a cache because the old 512 was swamped. If you have similar problems, fill up the RAM to the max. It will be the best money you ever spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment