Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Renewable Energy Eyesore?







Over the past few years there's been quite a fracas over the industrial scale wind farm to be installed on our ancient mountain tops. (never mind entire mountains being removed not too far away) In typical corporate culture, Invenergy LLC had ulterior motives and omitted certain facts about the venture. Well they got caught omitting info and got punished by the Judge; they had to scale back the installation and get a license to kill bats.
I've been flipping back and forth about my feelings over the turbines. After all, they do represent one of the paths our country will follow for cleaner energy. Even my son, Ivan, posted a comment on my Big Oil Mess post. He said the sight of large scale RE sites pales in comparison to the gulf oil spill and the reckless/deadly mining of coal. I was surprised by his comment since he barely mentioned energy issues before.
While large scale RE growth will forge ahead, I think we all have the opportunity to do decentralized power generation and conservation. Modern RE devices are compact and the prices coming down. One can start on the smallest scale and build up over the years.
If you go to http://openpv.nrel.gov/ You can explore all the PV installations in our country that were reported to Open PV. No need to login just hit the explore section or search box. My brother Jeff and I put Greenbrier County in first place of all the WV counties. Shocking. It shows how one can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment